We reached out to our friends at Arlingtonians for a Clean Environment and they helped us gather ideas on how to celebrate Earth Day with your family. Have a look at these great activities below.
- Check out Nature Rocks for ideas on how to have a family-friendly outdoor adventure.
- Take a hike in a National Park and do a scavenger hunt in celebration of National Parks Week (free admission). You might even consider becoming a Junior Ranger to help keep our National Parks healthy.
- Create your own Family Nature Club. Don’t know where to start? Visit the Children & Nature Network’s Natural Families page for resources and a toolkit on how to start.
- Visit your local nature center, Arlington has three of them: Long Branch Nature Center, Gulf Branch Nature Center, and Potomac Overlook Nature Center.
- Start a family Pizza Garden (or Salsa or Pot Pie Gardens, whatever suits your family)! Visit the Virginia Cooperative Extension’s Arlington Office to get free seeds to start your own vegetable garden – with or without a theme. Here’s additional tips from the Daily Candy DC Kids. Don’t have a yard? Start a Kitchen Counter Garden. A recycled egg carton makes a great seed starter.
About Arlingtonians for a Clean Environment (ACE):
Arlingtonians for a Clean Environment (ACE) promotes stewardship of our natural resources and practical solutions to a sustainable lifestyle in order to protect water, air, and open spaces in the Arlington community.